I think best on the toilet.
I also get epiphanies in the shower.
Blogging since August, 2009.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

About Mr. Daruma!


Introducing the 'Daruma.'
Isn't he just so cute? :D


The Daruma is a traditional Japanese wishing doll, used to help the owner of the daruma to stay focused on their goals & aspirations.

The daruma is associated with the proverb; 'nana korobi yaoki' meaning
"Fall down seven times, get up eight!"
This is linked to the traditional daruma's shape.
Its round shape allows it to its original position even after being knocked over.

I saw these guys in some PayPal email I got recently, haha. I clicked on the website selling them ('WE LOVE DARUMA') and gah, it seems like such a cute and fun little idea~

I WANT ONEEE.
I'll name him Bobby. ;3;

The 'classic' daruma in the pic above sits at 12cm by 9cm. [$19.95 + S/H= $29.94US]
You can get 'mini' daruma (6cm by 5cm), 'large' daruma (20cm by 18cm) or 'JUMBO' daruma (39cm by 35cm)

'WE LOVE DARUMA' also sells them in different colours, depending on the type of wish/ aspiration you have.
  • Red= Luck & Good fortune (good for students like myself OTL)
  • Purple= Health & Longevity (given to sick people/ old people)
  • Yellow= Security & Protection (given to military friends/ friends travelling overseas)
  • Gold= Wealth & Prosperity (given to business owners)
  • White= Love & Harmony (given to newly-weds/ hopeless romantics like myself)
HOW TO WISH WITH A DARUMA:

1. Write your goal on the back of the daruma.


2. Draw on ONE eye of the daruma, signifying your commitment to the goal. (Either eye is fine)


3. Place daruma in a visible area and he'll will keep AN eye on you and help you stay focused on your goal.

4. Once your goal is achieved, draw on daruma's other eye to signify success! 8D

_______

Doesn't it make you wonder what happens if you don't reach those sorts of 'one-time-only' goals?
Like; "I wanna get a xx ATAR" or "I wanna get married before 30..." =w=;;

Apparently these dudes are traditionally taken to a temple at the end of the year to get burnt in a massive bonfire, LOL HOW MEAN.

Ooh, there we go:
Haha, big, fat daruma~

...I guess you'd find a lot of one-eyed ones in that bonfire, yup.



2 comments:

  1. i want a RED one too :3
    i think we both need one <_>
    i wonder if we'd have lik a thousand little one eyed ones around the house

    ReplyDelete